Under general supervision, performs all types of analyses and tests in connection with raw material evaluation, quality control, process control and process improvement in the white oil, sulfonate, petrolatum, wax hydrogenation and environmental areas of the plant. Experience & working knowledge with the following analytical instrumentation/methods: Wet chemistry analysis, automatic titrator, HPLC, NMR, FTIR, AA, GC, GC/MS, UV-vis. The position generally works 40-hours per week and may require overtime. This position is on weekend call-out as part of a scheduled rotation.
- Perform routine chemical analysis, test and determinations involving the application of established laboratory methods and techniques.
- Assist higher level chemists by performing assigned phases of project completion.
- Record results of tests and assignments and reports results to senior professional or group leader.
- Learn and develop to become able to interpret test results and determine their technical significance.
- Determine, verify, implement the appropriate analysis method and technique.
- Identify method and procedures for investigation of analytical discrepancies.
- Support quality programs and procedures.
- B.S. in Chemistry or closely related field with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Handle discrepancy issues quickly & professionally while adhering to established quality procedures and practices.
- Strong organizational skills: Multi-tasking, making decisions/performing multiple functions under tight deadlines that are frequently set by another department or the customer, prioritizing projects, assuring proper documentation is completed and maintained, following up with sample analysis, project progress details
- Solid foundation & understanding in Analytical Chemistry
- Knowledge of appropriate method development/validation practices for the CPI
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Working knowledge of statistics and the ability to utilize them to explain findings
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and presentation skills focusing on various levels of associates and customers
- Strong attention to detail
- Microsoft office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Prior experience in a Petrochemical lab
The position is predominantly in a lab environment. It requires frequent sitting and standing. It requires frequent work outside in order to collect samples of product. Light lifting up to 60 pounds may be required at times.
Sonneborn is the world's largest dedicated manufacturer and supplier of high purity specialty hydrocarbons. Our primary products are white oils, petrolatums, plastics oils, PVC oil, microcrystalline waxes, and petroleum distillates. Many of the largest personal care, cosmetic, pharmaceutical, and food processing companies use Sonneborn's products for personal care items such as creams and lotions, cosmetics, and pharmaceutical ointments, as well as for food processing, agricultural dust suppression, polymer processing, telecommunications wire and cable, and air conditioning and refrigeration lubricants.
Sonneborn provides equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, or on any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Thank you for your interest in Sonneborn as a prospective employer.